Carbon Monoxide – Ensure your family are protected

Posted by: Carly Temple on 10th February 2020

As we sit in our warm houses this winter, are you aware of the silent killer associated with all gas appliances?

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can you make you feel dizzy, nauseous, short of breath and generally unwell. If exposed to high levels it can kill you. According to the NHS, there are around 60 deaths a year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

There is a simple solution to ensure you and your family are not at risk. By installing a detector that monitors the level of carbon monoxide in a room, and then sets off an alarm when certain levels are exceeded, you can protect your family. You should install a detector in each room that has a gas appliance.

Faulty gas appliances

The poisonous gas is odourless and often produced by faulty gas appliances or blocked flues. The best way to ensure you are not at risk of a leak is to have your boiler serviced regularly by a Gas Safe engineer. You should also regularly check that all air vents and flues for fires and stoves are clear.

Checklist

If you suspect a potential leak, in the first instance check the following:

  • The pilot light on your boiler. It should burn blue, but if it is yellow or orange then you may have a leak.
  • Look for any stains or soot around appliances or fires. If there are, get it checked immediately.
  • Smoke building up in rooms where you have working fireplaces and chimneys.

If you have any concerns around the above then seek advice from a Gas Safe Engineer immediately.

Carshalton Boilers, based in Sutton, is a family-run business. All of our engineers are Gas Safe Registered, so if you have any concerns contact us today.

carbon monoxide
Back to All Posts

© Carshalton Boilers 2020. All Rights Reserved. Created by Kemp Marketing